5 Live Updates arrow
Account Login

Managing fat, oils and grease (FOG)

As a food service establishment (FSE), it's your responsibility to make sure that FOG is disposed of properly.


What's the law around FOG?

FOG blockages can result in flooding on your premises, costly repairs, and potential closure while the blockage is dealt with.

Not only this, but you could also risk prosecution if your business disposes of FOG carelessly.

Businesses are required by law to make sure their waste does not block or damage the sewer network, under Section 111 of the Water Industry Act 1991.

The Building Regulations (page 14) also state that FSEs (Food Service Establishments) should have a grease separator fitted to drains serving kitchens, or other effective means of removing grease.


Could you turn your kitchen waste into fuel?

Fat and oil can be recycled to produce fuel, which can then be used to generate electricity. Many companies offer a free fat and oil collection service. Just make sure the company you use is registered as a waste carrier with the Environment Agency.

New food waste regulations introduced in 2023 class FOG as food waste which can be collected by local authorities to be turned into energy. Ask your local authority about collections in your area.

In addition, several of our sites accept a range of commercial, non-hazardous, liquid waste.

Find a disposal site for your food waste

Did you find the information you are looking for?

Thank you for your feedback. We’re glad you found this information useful!
We're sorry to hear that. Please tell us a bit more by ticking any of the boxes below that apply.
Page feedback form